IF/Then Short Documentary Program - Pitches and Eligibility
Oct 19, 2018
Nov 12, 2018
May & August, 2018
Feb 22, 2018
East Doc Platform
Central and Eastern Europe
Mar 7, 2018
Specific eligibility requirements and regional focus is outlined in each individual pitch listed above.
Eligible projects must meet the following criteria:
- Be an original short documentary with a final duration (TRT) of between 10-20 minutes
- Be completed within 3-6 months of receiving the IF/Then grant. The amount you request should allow you to complete the film within this time frame.
- Be factually accurate, follow best practices in documentary ethics and be designed for a U.S. audience
- Be driven by (a) compelling character(s), with access to the character(s) secured
- Be presented in English or subtitled in English
- Have no prior distribution attached and be able to participate in the IF/Then distribution initiative
Projects that we DO NOT support:
- Student projects
- Feature-length documentaries, series or cut-downs of completed films
- Films that are made to support an advocacy campaign
- Films with distribution attached
Projects will be prioritized based on the following criteria:
- Artistic quality
- Originality and social relevance
- Robust storytelling that brings new facts, perspectives and under-represented stories to light
- Financial feasibility
- Potential to travel
We urge you to have the following ready before you begin the online application process:
- Working title and project basics (TRT, languages, etc.)
- Logline (75 word max)
- Project description (250 word max)
- Synopsis/treatment (500 word max)
- Project status (250 word max)
- Funding status (250 word max)
- Distribution and rights status (250 word max)
- Name and contact info for up to 2 pitch members – including 175 word bio each.
- Link to a video sample (3 minutes max) presenting the project/characters
- Link to a photo that best represents the project
- If chosen as a finalist, it is mandatory that you participate in the event. You will have to finance the flight and hotel expenses yourself; however, you will receive an Industry accreditation for the host film festival free of charge.
- Each pitch team will have a maximum of 7 minutes to present their project. All visual material will be part of your 7-minute presentation, and can be no more than 3 minutes long.
- Each pitch is followed by a short, moderated discussion with a tailored jury.
- Please see individual pitch application pages for key dates and specific eligibility requirements and see also Frequently Asked Questions.