TFI Sloan Filmmaker Fund: Rules and Regulations
Submissions Now Closed
Submissions open September 24th - November 19th, 2018.
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, in partnership with the Tribeca Film Institute, provides funding for scripted features or series that are scientifically relevant, accurate, and exciting through the TFI Sloan Filmmaker Fund. The fund supports writers, filmmakers and producers who are traditionally underrepresented in the film industry.
Project Status: For projects in any stage
Region: For filmmakers based anywhere
Funding: Grants range from $10,000 to $75,000
In addition to financial support, grantees will receive professional guidance and mentorship through the Tribeca Film Institute, as dictated by the unique needs and status of the project and the level of experience of the filmmaking team. This ancillary support may include project notes, networking assistance, and exposure to financing and distribution executives.
Funding & support
Up to six projects will each receive a grant of $10,000 - $75,000 to use towards the development, production or post-production of their project. Grantees will participate in panels, workshops, and one-on-one meetings with industry executives during the 2019 Tribeca Film Festival.
In order to qualify for the TFI Sloan Filmmaker Fund, applicants must comply with ALL of the following Rules and Eligibility Requirements. Failure to comply with these rules will render a submission ineligible.
Grantees will be selected from an open call for submissions. Consideration will be given not only to the creative merit of each project, but to the accuracy and uniqueness of the script’s scientific content, and the team’s ability to see the project through to completion. Initial rounds of evaluation will be conducted by Tribeca Film Institute staff while final grantee selections will be made by a Deliberation Committee comprised of noteworthy professionals from the science and film industries.
SUBMISSION RULES & REGULATIONS
- Applicants are required to apply with a treatment (and script, if available) for a feature-length screenplay or full-length pilot, with or without a director attached.
- Only ONE submission per applicant is allowed, unless applicant is working on another project in a different role. Applicants are also allowed to submit both a feature and a series project in the same year
- Films intending to be subtitled are eligible, but the submitted material must be in English.
- If a director is attached to the project, a full sample of the director’s prior work must be supplied via a link to an online-streaming source OR DVD. Sample work must be a minimum of 5 consecutive minutes in length, though longer samples are encouraged. (Examples of prior work may include a webisode, short film, feature film, music video, commercial, etc.). Please DO NOT provide reels or more than two samples of prior work, except if there is more than one director attached to the project.
- Short films, student films, documentary projects, and science fiction or fantasy film are NOT eligible.
Applicants must be at least 18-years old.
All submissions must include:
- A completed online application form (SUBMISSIONS NOW CLOSED).
- Bios and contact information for key filmmaker(s)/applicant(s).
- Registration with the WGA or copyright office for all submitted materials.
- Links embedded onto your online application to a streaming website, where your footage is available to watch; PLEASE NOTE: You must not take down your footage at any time through the submission process (September – April) or you will be disqualified.
- If you submit links you are not required to send DVDs. If you are submitting DVDs, you are required to send at least 2 copies and to label all DVDs with the submission number, project title, sample work’s title and run time, applicants’ names, and contact information.
- Budget top sheet or summary that breaks down, to your best estimation, the total funding needed for the project and reflects how the TFI Sloan Filmmaker funding will be used in addition to any other money that may have already been secured.
- A letter of support from a scientific professional expressing his, her or their opinion about the scientific relevance and importance of the film or series.
September 24, 2018 – Submissions Open
November 19, 2018 – Submissions Close [11:59PM EST]
There is no entry fee to apply to the TFI Sloan Filmmaker Fund.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to some commonly asked questions.
If you still have questions regarding the entry process, please free to contact us directly: email@example.com or (212) 274-8080